The Brother ST531HD heavy-duty sewing machine is built to handle everything from lightweight silks to up to six layers of denim. It features a metal needle plate for smoother fabric feeding, heavy duty needles for thicker fabrics, and a metal finger guard.
As far as durability is concerned, this unit has an extremely sturdy metal frame that will increase its durability and add to its performance and quality. This helps your work look professionally sewn at all times regardless if you are a beginner or experienced sewer in any way.
What We Like About Brother ST531HD Heavy-Duty Sewing Machine
- The stitch quality of Brother ST531HD is excellent. You can adjust the tension of each stitch to match your sewing project’s needs, whether it be light or heavyweight fabrics.
- The included instructional DVD went over all the features in detail and will help you get started using this machine right away.
- The Brother ST531HD comes with 53 built-in stitches, including blind hem, stretch, overcasting and decorative stitches, and an easy to use, one-step auto-size buttonhole. It gives you the freedom to experiment and create all sorts of sewing designs. You can use this model for quilting, garment construction, heirloom sewing, or even household crafts.
- The Brother ST531HD comes complete with 6 sewing feet, including a spring action zigzag foot, nonstick, blind stitch, zipper, buttonhole, and button sewing feet.
- This Brother ST531HD sewing machine that makes it easy for users to set up their needles quickly without having to manually thread them up.
- Jam-Resistant Quick-Set drop-in top bobbin. Drop-in bobbins allow for quick and easy replacement when needed. Whenever you need to change your bobbin, just open up the top part of the machine and replace the old one with a new one. This eliminates time wasted in fiddling around with threaded.
- Automatic bobbin winding system. Automatic bobbin winders save a lot of manpower and are convenient for your sewing work.
- It operates very quietly and smoothly, making it ideal for home and commercial use. You can stitch with great ease thanks to the start/stop feature, which allows you to keep a check on your sewing progress, eliminating any untimely errors or mistakes at all times.
- Brother ST531HD features a free arm for sewing cuffs, sleeves, and other hard-to-reach areas.
- Brother ST531HD has an instructional DVD to get you started.
- With the included spring action zigzag foot and heavyweight needles, you can easily sew through layers of outdoor fabrics such as water-resistant canvas.
- It is heavy-duty enough to sew through multiple layers of denim with the included spring action zigzag foot that glides over varying fabric thicknesses.
- The detachable metal finger guard helps prevent fingers from getting caught under the needle. This is useful for beginners, and for sewing at higher speeds.
- The Brother ST531HD is designed to handle a wide range of fabrics, from suede and leather to lightweight silks.
- The strong, durable needle plate helps provide smoother fabric feeding for even sewing. The engraved measurements are useful guides to help you stitch in a straight line.
What We Don’t Like
- We love everything about this machine, but we still want to point out some flaws despite how insignificant those flaws are (when compared to other machines). Brother ST531HD heavy-duty sewing machine is a bit hard to use for beginners, it comes with a steep learning curve.
- The maximum sewing speed is only 800 stitch per minute, which is a bit low for such a heavy-duty sewing machine.
- The LED light could be brighter, and it can sometimes be an issue to see clearly the needle position when sewing dark fabric or sewing in dim environments.
- You might need to purchase protective case seperately to protect your sewing machine from dust.
- SPRING ACTION ZIGZAG FOOT. This foot is invaluable for sewing over varying fabric thicknesses, such as when hemming denim jeans. The built-in spring action helps the foot transition smoothly over the ‘hills and valleys’ of fabric layers, even when sewing over thick seams.
- NONSTICK FOOT. The nonstick foot glides over difficult fabric surfaces with ease, helping to improve stitch quality. It helps ensure consistent feeding for fabrics such as leather, vinyl, suede and hook and loop tape.
- BLIND STITCH FOOT (‘R’ FOOT). Create virtually invisible blind hems on pant legs, sleeves and home decor projects, on a variety of fabrics. While designed for blind stitching, this foot also works well for edge stitching, lace and fabric edge joining.
- BUTTONHOLE FOOT (‘A’ FOOT). You’ll be amazed how easy it is to create buttonholes with the built-in one-step buttonhole stitch and this useful foot! Your buttonholes will actually be custom-sized to fit your specific buttons.
- BUTTON SEWING FOOT (‘M’ FOOT). Instead of sewing buttons on by hand, save time and get better results by letting your machine take care of it with this included button sewing foot.
- ZIPPER FOOT (‘I’ FOOT). The design of this foot allows you to easily attach zippers on both the right and left sides. This foot can be positioned exactly on the edge of the zipper, for more precise placement.
Who Is Brother ST531HD Heavy-Duty Sewing Machine For?
The Brother ST531HD heavy-duty sewing machine also boasts of a slide speed controller on its side as well as an LED light that illuminates the workspace very clearly. The Brother ST531HD sewing machine is comparatively cheaper than other machines, yet it offers excellent performance and function. It comes with amazing features like an automatic needle threader, automatic thread cutter, bobbin winding system, and drop-in bobbin – making it easier than ever to sew, especially for beginners.
Does the Brother ST371HD Sew Leather?
It’s easy to use, a great sewing machine for leather, and good for other sewing projects besides